FOOD + DRINK

A taste of Saurwein Chi Riesling 2020

The bottle of 2020 Chi Riesling from Saurwein was not only pleasant on the eye, but delivered on exceptional taste as well.

Steeped in the history of 17th-century winemaking, Jessica Saurwein’s forefathers made “sour” wine for the Emperor of Austria. It became her
vocation to redeem her family’s reputation in wine, and so after a gap year working locally and internationally in vineyards, she completed a BSc Oenology and Viticulture degree at Stellenbosch University.

Opportunities then led her into the world of sales and marketing at first, while she worked in the cellar each year during harvest time – both locally and internationally. She found her way back to making wine by starting her own production part-time in 2015.

When she had a baby in October 2017 she resigned from her job to become a mother and full-time winemaker for her own brand: Saurwein Wines.

Today she focusses on handcrafting her two favourite cultivars, Pinot noir and Riesling, and makes three wines under the Saurwein brand name, two Pinot noirs and one Riesling.

More about the 2020 Chi Riesling

Grape origin

60% of the blend’s fruit comes from Casey’s Ridge Vineyard, Elgin, on loamy and very rocky red slate soils. The other 40% of the blend De Rust Vineyard, Elgin, on decomposed Bokkeveld Shale.

Vintage 2020

2020 was a great vintage with a cool late ripening for Riesling Keywords for this vintage: palate weight, texture, citrus aromas

Winemaking

Grapes are hand-picked, cooled, then hand-sorted, destemmed and pressed. Spontaneous fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks, which lasted about six weeks until optimal residual sugar balance achieved. The wine was prepared for bottling and bottled after three months in tank and released after another two months in bottle.

Experience

Fragrant orange blossom, green melon, lime, Yellow stone fruits,
Pina colada, honey suckle, flint

Ideal cuisine

Salads/ cheeses/ Asian-style dishes with a bit of spice/ sweetness

Visit the Saurwein website for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *