The Spier Signature Chardonnay/Pinot Noir was simply made for summertime sipping.
Unpretentious, beautifully balanced and full of flair, it marries strawberry and apple flavours with a crisp finish. While delightful at brunch, on a picnic, or alone with a good book, the Spier winemaking team also recommends combining it with fresh strawberries and thyme to create granita: a luscious, delicately flavoured frozen dessert. The perfect show-stopping conclusion to a lavish dinner, this granita is also brilliant as a palate cleanser served during a multi-course feast.
The hardest part is simply remembering to make the granita a day ahead, as it needs to spend at least overnight in the freezer.
RECIPE: Spier Signature Chardonnay/Pinot Noir Granita:
- 250 ml (1 cup) Spier Chardonnay/Pinot Noir
- 1/2 cup regular white sugar
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 250 g fresh strawberries, stalks/hulls removed
- a squirt of fresh lemon juice
- Place half the wine in a small saucepan with the sugar and thyme. Heat to the beginning of a simmer, then remove the pan from the heat, swirling until the sugar has dissolved.
- In a blender, add the remaining wine, strawberries and lemon juice. Remove the thyme sprigs from the hot syrup mixture, then add the syrup to the blender. Blend on high speed to a very smooth pulp.
- Transfer to a wide plastic container, cover with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate overnight (or longer, but not less than 8 hours). The granita will never freeze completely due to the alcohol and sugar content.
- At serving time, quickly use a fork to scrape the granita into the desired number of glasses.
About the Spier Signature Chardonnay/Pinot Noir
This salmon-coloured summertime sipper is elegant, unpretentious and beautifully balanced, marrying strawberry and apple flavours with a crisp finish. Whether you need a tipple for brunch, paella dinner, a picnic — or simply something to enjoy while reading in the sun — this sublime Spier Signature Chardonnay/Pinot Noir adds understated flair to any occasion.