Although these are the perfect day-after solution for when you’ve made a large roast with leftovers to spare, you can also roast a smaller piece of pork for the sole purpose of making these sandwiches. Serve at room temperature at any time of day, any season, any occasion – they’re always a winner (knife and fork optional!). These pair well with an easygoing white like the Seaward Chardonnay.
The recipe serves 4.
For the roast pork:
- 1 kg boneless pork roast (smoked, if you prefer)
- 15-30 ml olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Heat the oven to 180℃. Place the pork in an oiled roasting tray or pan (fat side up), then brush with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 1.5 hours at 180℃, then remove from the oven, cover with foil, and leave to cool and rest. Slice as thinly as you can.
For the pickled red onion:
- 125 ml (½ cup) white wine vinegar
- 125 ml (½ cup) water at room temperature
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) sugar
- 7,5 ml (½ tablespoon) salt
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) whole peppercorns
- 1 ml (¼ teaspoon) crushed dried chili flakes
- 2,5 ml (½ teaspoon) mustard seeds
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced into half-moons or rounds
In a medium-size jug, mix the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, peppercorns, chili flakes and mustard seeds. Stir until the salt and sugar has dissolved. Pack the sliced onions tightly into a clean jar, then top with the pickling liquid. Cover with a lid, then let it stand for at least an hour before serving or refrigerate and use within a week.
For the horseradish cream:
- 250 ml thick sour cream
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) prepared horseradish
- 10-15 ml Dijon mustard
Mix all the ingredients together and set aside to top the sandwiches.
For the sandwiches:
- 8 slices dense rye bread, buttered
- A bunch of rocket leaves
- Horseradish cream (see above)
- Roasted pork slices (see above)
- Pickled red onion (see above)
Arrange the bread on plates, then top with rocket leaves, horseradish cream and a generous heap of roasted pork and pickled red onion. Serve at room temperature, with a chilled glass of Spier Seaward Chardonnay.
About Spier Seaward Chardonnay:
A chic seaside holiday in a glass. Made with grapes handpicked from the breezy Tygerberg Hills, this Chardonnay is as elegant as it is versatile: the perfect accompaniment for fireside reading, sweltering poolside afternoons or sophisticated dinner parties. Being lightly-wooded, its citrus-dominated flavours are rounded out by creamy vanilla; the oak offers structure without being overbearing. Serve with garlicky mussels, parmesan mushroom pasta, roast pork or butternut soup.
Available from R115 from leading retailers or online.